Frequently Asked Questions

Are Scentre Group Stapled Securities listed on any overseas exchanges?
Does Scentre Group have an ADR?
What is a stapled security?
How do I buy Stapled Securities in the Scentre Group?
How many stapled securities do I own?
What is my investment worth?
How do I change my bank details?
How can I give notification of my Tax File Number (TFN), Australian Business Number (ABN) or Exemption?
How do I change my address details?
Can I choose not to receive the annual report or to receive it via email?
What are HIN and SRN?
How can I check the current security price?
My documents have been stolen – what do I do?
Can I transfer my Stapled Securities to someone else?
How do I change my name?
When are distributions paid?
Does Scentre Group have a Distribution Reinvestment Plan (DRP)?
What happens if the bank rejects my direct credit distribution payment?
I recently sent in some instruction forms. How can I tell if my holding has been updated?
I may have unpresented cheques and/or unclaimed monies in relation to this entity. Is there a way I can verify this?
What is required if an investor dies?
If I have a complaint, who can I contact?
2016 Tax Statement Q&A
If I sell my Stapled Securities, how do I calculate my capital gains tax?
What is tax deferred income?
When will I receive the annual tax statement?
Where can I get the breakdown of the taxation components on a percentage basis?
Cost base information
Contact info

Phone (02) 9358 7877 International callers should dial (+61 2) 9358 7877 Email In writing: Scentre Group Investor Relations GPO Box 4004 Sydney NSW 2001